A few fireworks safety tips from Guelph Police and OPP with the Canada Day weekend in sight:
- Fireworks and sparklers should be be kept out of the hands of children and only adults should should ignite them.
- Eye protection is highly recommended when lighting them.
- Prior to lighting, they should be buried at least half-way down into a bucket of sand or earth
- Always have first aid equipment and access to fresh water nearby.
- Never ignite fireworks while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Check the wind and have the wind blowing away from the spectators.
- Never attempt to re-light a “dud” or defective firework.
- Keep pets indoors and secure when lighting fireworks.
- Purchase fireworks from reliable sources and always read and follow the label instructions.
Police say improper use of fireworks can lead to serious burns, property damage, and even death.