The Grand River Conservation Authority is warning the public about the possibility of blue-green algae at Conestogo Lake.
Samples were taken from the lake on Thursday which show conditions are present for the formation of the of the toxic algae. It may contain microcystin which can cause illness if ingested.
The GRCA says algae blooms were first noticed last week and test results for blue-green algae are expected next week.
People using the reservoir are urged to avoid swimming, keep children and pets away from the algae, and avoid contact with it.
Also, don’t eat fish from the lake or drink the water.
When the algae dies it releases the toxin in the water where it breaks down in about a week.
No reports of illness caused by the algae have been reported at this time.